Photo

Four Most Overpowered Tanks at Top Tier (The Big Four)

balancing op

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JBDD

JBDD

Second Lieutenant

• PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • HomeToronto, Ontario

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:54 PM

As we know that the developers have adjusted soft stats on some tanks, especially top tier tanks in this version. C1 Ariete and Arjun are fairly balanced now. However, there are some new overpowered tanks discovered in this version. It is obvious that Merkava Mark IV and TR-85M1 have replaced C1 Ariete and Arjun's positions as members of "The Big Four". I will list those tanks below with reason and tips on how to deal with them in the current version.

No. 1 Al Khalid

Ak Khalid was widely recognized to be one of the most overpowered tanks at the top tier in 2.0 and 2.1. However, many believe that the developers left this tank untouched in this version it is considered as the dominating tank at the top tier. Many agree that "Al Khalid in 2.2 > Type 10 in 1.22".

Why is it considered as overpowered?
  • Very high hit-point pool, most opponents are not able to go through its hit point pool before they die.
  • Average damage with good rate of fire and decent penetration (in most occasions it will out DPM slow reloading tanks such as M1A2 Abrams and Type 99).
  • Very effective spaced armor stops HEAT shells very easily.
  • Soft armor makes APDS rounds almost useless against it.
  • Although the armor on soft stats is very bad, its upper frontal glacis bounces a lot of AP and APDS shells.
How to deal with it in this version?
  • Al Khalid has weak armor means it is very vulnerable to AP rounds, consider shooting AP on any part of it except the upper frontal glacis.
  • The gun mantlet on Al Khalid is huge and does not have enough protection, shooting on it will most likely knock its cannon out.
  • Try not to expose yourself a lot when you see an Al Khalid in your sight because it will most likely out DPM you without any trouble, the best thing to do is to hide behind the corner and put the first shot on its sides which will cripple significantly damage and have a chance of immobilizing it.
No. 2 TR-85M1

TR-85M1 was underpowered in 1.22 for its level, instead of decreasing its max level, the developers decided to "balance it" which made it overpowered in 2.0 and 2.1, it was rarely mentioned due to C1/Arjun spam. Now in 2.2, it starts to be recognized as one of the most overpowered top tier tanks because there was almost no adjustment on this tank's soft stats.

• Very high hit-point pool despite not as high as Al Khalid.
  • Its 100mm gun is able to remove a lot of hit points from the opponents' tanks despite the slow reloading speed.
  • Surprising fast and agile makes it get into positions very easily.
  • Effective spaced armor.
  • The armor is effective against low-alpha guns.
  • Thin armor makes APDS almost useless.
  • TR-85M1 has weak armor profile, AP is the best shell to deal with it (hint: shooting AP on its upper frontal glacis will deal more damage than shooting AP on its tracks)
  • TR-85M1 has fairly slow reloading speed, poor accuracy and subpar penetration, take advantage of those weaknesses then you will have higher chances to kill it before it kills you.
No. 3 T-72

T-72 is one of the most "hated" tank in Tanktastic. Since 1.17, it could bully lower tier tanks, make tanks at same tier suffer and make higher tier tanks tricky to deal with it. Since 2.0, it is widely recognized as a super overpowered tank due to its scary alpha damage per shot and significant penetration. It got nerfed in this update but is still considered as the dominating tank especially in rooms around level 50-60.

• Scary alpha damage with significant penetration despite slow reload.
  • Effective armor all around.
  • High hit-point pool for its tier, especially for a Soviet/Russian tank.
  • Effective spaced armor makes HEAT rounds almost impossible to penetrate.
  • Decent straight line speed and acceleration.
  • T-72 has good armor value all around the tank means APDS is your best option to destroy it.
  • The gun mantlet lacks protection, shooting it will most likely cripple considerable amount of damage and knock out the cannon.
  • T-72 has poor accuracy and slow reload speed so wiggling your tank is an option.
  • T-72 has subpar hull traverse speed and poor turret traverse speed, flanking is a good option.
No. 4 Merkava Mark IV

Merkava is known as "playground bully" since 1.18 thanks to its massive hit point pool, massive armor, and scary alpha damage, 3 years have passed, its role and overall stats haven't changed. In 2.2, the Merkava has even more hp and mobility but with much slower reloading speed, it is considered as one of the hardest tanks to kill in 1v1.

• Very high hit-point pool, one of the highest in the game.
  • Massive armor can stop a lot of shells at the front, sides are also tough.
  • Very effective spaced armor.
  • Scary alpha damage per shot with very good accuracy and penetration which compensate the very slow reloading speed.
  • Very fast and agile for such a massive heavy tank.
  • Merkava has very good armor on the front and sides, but the rear armor is very weak and the ammo rack frequently gets damaged there. AP or HEAT is recommended for shooting at the back, APDS is recommended for frontal engagements.
  • The frontal mounted engine on the Merkava catches a lot of fire when you shoot APDS on its lower frontal glacis.
  • Its acceleration is sub-par, flanking is an option.
  • Merkava is an obvious target thanks to its size, even shooting from far is easy to hit.
  • Merkava has painfully slow reloading speed, when you have to engage it frontally, try to keep moving so you have a chance to dodge its shots.
The content above are from my friends' and my experience, I summarized them to make them easier to understand. If there are any mistakes or inaccuracies, you are welcome to make corrections.

Edited by JBDD, 02 June 2017 - 04:37 AM.

• basmal121, Iluvtanks, Drestdave and 1 other like this

☆ Playing Tanktastic since July 2013 (returned) 

[VIPR] Deadly Vipers Clan 

#2 Drestdave

Drestdave

Wikia Administrator - TECREAT Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1146 posts
  • HomeHolland

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:34 PM

Hmmm, this actually is very, very good. And it have me some tips and inspiration for something.

|Wikia Administrator & TECREAT manager|

​|1200 days In-game|Can be found In-game and on the forums frequently|

Can I help you with something?

#3 Tank Ben

Tank Ben

Lieutenant General

• Not approved
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

Good work, Jbdd!

Regards:
T.B
  • JBDD likes this

#4 rcmppolice

rcmppolice

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1438 posts
  • HomeWashington,Pullman.but now in Hong Kong

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:21 AM

you forgot the armata...... no one forgets the armata
RCMPPOLICE
Let the Royal Canadian Mounted Police do the work...........

#5 Drestdave

Drestdave

Wikia Administrator - TECREAT Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1146 posts
  • HomeHolland

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:56 AM

you forgot the armata...... no one forgets the armata

I assume he only looked at vehicles that are comptable of playing against a tank of its level in open rooms, and which will most likely be used in the game.
  • Smigstank likes this

|Wikia Administrator & TECREAT manager|

​|1200 days In-game|Can be found In-game and on the forums frequently|

Can I help you with something?

#6 je4n10

je4n10

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • HomeLebanon

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:51 AM

did you just say that the tr-85m1 has poor accuracy? are you serious?
its one of the most accurate high tiers tank if not the most accurate
  • blitzkrieg101 likes this
git gud noob

#7 Daddy Rob

Daddy Rob

Warrant Officer

• PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • HomeThe Shires

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:57 AM

Yes, very good JBDD.

I wish there was more of this, now & when I first started playing.

I have to disagree about the Al Khalid, its fine as it is, and all your tips on knocking one out are totally wrong ;-), but only because I have one!

If I do not answer straight away, please pick one of my standard responses listed below - mood dependent. <p>Realistic: Adapt your expectations, reality may surprise you. Cautionary: You always have a choice. Unsympathetic: Better you than me.

msg-7194-0-08197600-1510947090.jpg

#8 JBDD

JBDD

Second Lieutenant

• PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • HomeToronto, Ontario

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:17 AM

did you just say that the tr-85m1 has poor accuracy? are you serious?its one of the most accurate high tiers tank if not the most accurate

Most TR-85M1s I encounter shoot like drunk. Challenger 2 has the most accurate gun.

Yes, very good JBDD.
I wish there was more of this, now & when I first started playing.
I have to disagree about the Al Khalid, its fine as it is, and all your tips on knocking one out are totally wrong ;-), but only because I have one!

I can take out Al Khalid as long as I shoot first and the shell goes straight through its sides.

Edited by JBDD, 01 June 2017 - 04:19 AM.

☆ Playing Tanktastic since July 2013 (returned) 

[VIPR] Deadly Vipers Clan 

#9 Mr blue sky01

Mr blue sky01

Brexitarian Hussar

• In-game Moderator
  • 532 posts
  • HomeGreat Britain, England.

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:30 AM

Overall, a great post. However, a few points to iterate...

... The T-72 is only OP when players choose not to fully upgrade and more emphasis should be placed on its broken progression. For example, a fix could be to increase its stock level or the levels gained from unlocking certain upgrades.

... The TRM-85M1s has good accuracy when the gun is maxed albeit with ammunition such as APDS. I think the "drunk" players you have encountered are a result of users rushing to grab an easily obtainable tank and are still on the stock grind. 

• JBDD likes this
"Victory is changing the hearts of your opponents by gentleness and kindness" ― Salahuddin al-Ayyubi (RA)

#10 NeonTempzzz

NeonTempzzz

Major

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • HomeThe Great White North Known as Minnesota

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:26 AM

Great now when I can play again I can "cheese my way back. XD

You don't choose the tank. The tank chooses you, and when it does respect it and it will respect you.

Member of TECREAT

#11 je4n10

je4n10

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • HomeLebanon

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:48 AM

Overall, a great post. However, a few points to iterate...

... The T-72 is only OP when players choose not to fully upgrade and more emphasis should be placed on its broken progression. For example, a fix could be to increase its stock level or the levels gained from unlocking certain upgrades.

... The TRM-85M1s has good accuracy when the gun is maxed albeit with ammunition such as APDS. I think the "drunk" players you have encountered are a result of users rushing to grab an easily obtainable tank and are still on the stock grind.

maxed tr85m1's heat is more accurace than a maxed leo2, m1a2, type10,amx56 apds
git gud noob

#12 basmal121

basmal121

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2649 posts
  • Homev1.22

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:08 AM

Why do you hate merkava? It needs reload buff and damage nerf
It dies quickly against 2 high tier tanks...
Without teammates it's pretty much garbage

29dekvt.jpg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

{parse template="include_lightbox_real" group="global" params=""} {parse template="inlineLogin" group="global" params=""}