Photo
- - - - -

Custom Decals

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Voting on Decals in the Forum (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like this idea?

1. Yes (11 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Needs work, you rushed this thread didn't you? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Should clan logos be voted on, or should the top 10 clans of the month be added?

1. Logos should be voted on. (8 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. Top 10 clans of the month should automatically be in the game. (Plus decals of our choice) (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. I would rather they all be memes. (1 votes [9.09%])

4. Top 10 clans, plus another 10 voted on by the community. (Plus decals of our choice, but 10 fewer) (1 votes [9.09%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Qnomei

Qnomei

Official Wiki Admin

• Community Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • HomeThe Great Land of Cheese, also known as Wisconsin

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

OH BOY. The dreaded decals topic. Mostly self explanatory, but I have an idea that just might be good enough to implement into the game. The main issue with adding this feature is, well, there's no good way to let people upload custom decals and camos directly to the game without some sort of moderation system. On top of that, they would bloat the game size since they need to be in everyone's game files to be visible. However, they don't necessarily have to. 

Ok, to the point, we could have the admins put up a few threads for submissions and voting on which decals make it into the game. Submit these to the developers, and get them added into the next patch. Obviously, we would do that after the feature is confirmed. That way, the game won't need a built in upload system, symbols against the EULA/copyright law/common decency won't get into the game, the number of decals could be limited to prevent increasing the game size too much, and everyone gets at least one clan logo/symbol they like into the game. Number of decals that can be placed on a tank, their placement, as well as how many would actually be added, are up to the developer.

AnglerFish Pz4.png

(As much as I would love an Anglerfish Team Pz4, another game company already owns that license.)

#2 Error 403

Error 403

Flawless Life

• General Community Representative
  • 3305 posts
  • HomeThe oil land, or better known as Norway.

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:10 PM

Thank you for another good suggestion, Qnomei; it will be taken into consideration. If this were to be implemented, it would most likely be one of your tasks as a TECREAT member.
  • Tank Ben likes this

u0KGBYG.gif

:: General Community Representative ::
 Forum Rules  EULA  Support  In-game Reports 

#3 monkeyman7832

monkeyman7832

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1280 posts
  • HomeHouse

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:44 AM

I'm​ a bit confused, so please clear this up a bit. Basically, in order for this to work, you would need you get a custom logo design, get it approved by a Moderation team consisting of members solely made for this job ( Which I assume will have their own forum sub-section. Anyone wanting their logos implemented in the game would have to request it through that team). Then in order for everyone to see the decals, the game has to be patched every time a new decal is added. Meaning if requested to much, the game would have to be patched every week?

Regarding; "Everyones gets atleast one of their logos/symbols added to the game", how would that be possible if voting is involved?
If you have to depend on the players for your custom decal to be added, then not all will be approved​.

"Never hate your enemies, it affects your judgement"

Don Vito Corleone

#4 Drestdave

Drestdave

Wikia Administrator - TECREAT Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1129 posts
  • HomeHolland

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

Create a creation program, and if such things are made, controlled by Staff members, they can add it to the user's account.

|Wikia Administrator & TECREAT manager|

​|1200 days In-game|Can be found In-game and on the forums frequently|

Can I help you with something?

#5 Qnomei

Qnomei

Official Wiki Admin

• Community Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • HomeThe Great Land of Cheese, also known as Wisconsin

Posted 12 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

I'm​ a bit confused, so please clear this up a bit. Basically, in order for this to work, you would need you get a custom logo design, get it approved by a Moderation team consisting of members solely made for this job ( Which I assume will have their own forum sub-section. Anyone wanting their logos implemented in the game would have to request it through that team). Then in order for everyone to see the decals, the game has to be patched every time a new decal is added. Meaning if requested to much, the game would have to be patched every week?

Regarding; "Everyones gets atleast one of their logos/symbols added to the game", how would that be possible if voting is involved?
If you have to depend on the players for your custom decal to be added, then not all will be approved​.

Alright. I made this topic late last night, mostly just to get the idea out before I forgot it. My goal was to get discussion going, and I didn't explain it very well. That's why one of the options in the poll was, "You rushed this thread". I'm going to try a little harder now that I have rest and breakfast.

1. The thing about Tanktastic is the whole game is pre-packaged assets. You can't just add something into it without rebuilding the whole game and releasing a new patch the way the game is right now.
  2. Unless decals are added as a patch or update, you will be the only person able to see your own custom decals. It's possible to get around that, but nobody wants the game to have to download assets every time they join a lobby, especially with slower internet connections.
  3. Allowing anyone to upload a decal without some kind of moderation will run into legal issues, like I mentioned above with the Panzer IV texture I edited. Not to mention potential for abuse, hate speech, and sexual content.
  4. There's a limit on how large a single texture can be on a Unity mobile game. It's 2048x2048 pixels.
  5. One way to avoid the game's size getting bloated by tons of custom decals, is adding them as a sprite-sheet that size and filling one every update. That way, there's one large texture being added instead of hundreds of kinda-big ones.
  6. Crunching some numbers (and actually putting some thought into it) I found that if all the decals were limited to 64x64 pixels, 1024 decals could fit on one sprite-sheet without space between them. However, only 256 128x128 pixel decals could fit. I would also assume that not all of the decals added could be chosen by us, and these numbers would get smaller for more irregularly shaped decals.
  7. Will everyone's logos be added? No, I lied, but at least I know now that it wouldn't be hard to have a ton of them without greatly increasing the size of the game.

So, if the feature does get added, It won't be player-created ones at first. Updates after that, we could decide which ones we want as a community. A 2048x2048 sprite-sheet looks something like this:

fd6e685e8b8535fe749d4138717c9cd8.jpg

It's just a bunch of emoji's because I'm not going to embed another game's assets in the forum. Most of these are actually 64x64 and some are slightly bigger. Presumably some of the decals we want will need to be larger than these. Arranging a bunch of images this way isn't very hard, I have a filter in my image editor that does it for me. The hard part is getting enough decently-sized ones to fit, also making sure they are clean looking and have transparent backgrounds. Voting would be more about which ones get added first, and not about whether they get added at all.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

{parse template="include_lightbox_real" group="global" params=""} {parse template="inlineLogin" group="global" params=""}