Photo

Old Version Tanktastic Easter Egg Hunt (15a, 16a, 17a)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Qnomei

Qnomei

Official Wiki Admin

• Community Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1565 posts
  • HomeThe Great Land of Cheese, also known as Wisconsin

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:15 PM

Sorry for the late post, I was on break and just got back to school. Easter is probably over already for some of you.

Disclaimer:

Spoiler

Now that the legalese is out of the way, let's get down to business. A few days ago I was wondering about versions of the game I haven't played. Most of you know I started playing in update 18a, and have barely done anything since. I thought, I wonder what secrets the developers left in those versions of the game, like how the WWII tanks and the M1128 were hidden in 22a. I decided because it was Easter I would do an Easter Egg hunt in old versions of the game, if I could find them.

I started by looking for app packages of old versions. 15a was the easiest to find, there's an old thread on XDA Developers forum by Roman with a download that still works. The other two made me resort to shady sites and I'm glad my anti-virus works. These can still be installed on Android, but can't be played since the servers aren't configured for that. I found a few things of interest.

1) The theme music for 15a is pretty chill. There's also mesh (without a texture associated to it) named "plane" and four meshes named "propeller". Hmm. That's about all I found out about 15a besides that all 8 tanks had unique zoomed-in scopes. What happened to that? I couldn't view most of the files, they're in a format that can't easily be converted.

2) It says in 16 alpha's patch notes that Windows Phone support was planned. Interestingly enough, there is a windows icon in the HUD spritesheet for 16a and 17a. After Windows Phone flopped, they probably gave up on porting the game, but it's neat that they at least had the icon in the game beforehand.

3) The last Easter Egg I found was definitely the most interesting. Here it is:

GP6FKBV.png

In the sprite sheet (for the research tree icons) that has all the tanks in 16a, I noticed there were 26 instead of 25 like the patch notes said. I looked at it for a bit, and noticed there were two tanks that looked like the Abrams, but the left one obviously wasn't. It also shows up in 17a and neither game includes a texture map nor a mesh for it. You may take one look at it and say it's a K1, but the K1's turret looks nothing like that, so it puzzled me for a bit. Luckily, the very first image result for the K1 had a matching decal on the front, and the yellow V on the side.

1280px-Korean_K1_Tank.JPEG

My guess is, they didn't have a proper model for the K1 at the time, so they used that makeshift model for development purposes and forgot to remove it from other parts of the game.

This concludes my Easter Egg hunt! I hope you found it mildly interesting, and have a good week!

• randy12345, Iluvtanks, Unknown 4249 and 2 others like this

#2 randy12345

randy12345

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8408 posts
  • HomeBorn in Leeds, England (Used to be NYC, now's Newark, New Jersey)

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:02 AM

Nice search.

Bow down to my dank memes.

#3 IDK

IDK

Warrant Officer

• PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • HomeCybertron

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

Actually for the 3rd one they use that icon for the zulfiqar tank since the tank looked like the abrams at least from some pictures. But nice finds

Edited by IDK, 17 April 2017 - 12:29 PM.

• Qnomei and Iluvtanks like this

If you want to fight me never back out and change the tank you brought to fight me with, it'll just show how bad you are.

If you want to fight me never have your gang of friends jump me and say you're better than me when you really cant fight me face to face

I don't do me vs 2s but if it comes to this I never back out until a point is made even if my score is 50 deaths and 20 kills (unless I have to go)

#4 Killerlion

Killerlion

Captain

• PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • HomeRed City, Mars

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:53 PM

The memomries.......makes me wonder alot.
  • Red Faction likes this

#5 randy12345

randy12345

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8408 posts
  • HomeBorn in Leeds, England (Used to be NYC, now's Newark, New Jersey)

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:56 AM

Actually for the 3rd one they use that icon for the zulfiqar tank since the tank looked like the abrams at least from some pictures. But nice finds

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. 

Bow down to my dank memes.

#6 Qnomei

Qnomei

Official Wiki Admin

• Community Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1565 posts
  • HomeThe Great Land of Cheese, also known as Wisconsin

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:09 AM

Whoops, I guess you were right. Still, it looks more like a slightly-off K1 than a Zufliqar.

q8H55Br.png

#7 Killerlion

Killerlion

Captain

• PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • HomeRed City, Mars

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

Ohh yeahh i remember zufliqar it looked like that and it was a good tank.
  • Red Faction likes this

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

{parse template="include_lightbox_real" group="global" params=""} {parse template="inlineLogin" group="global" params=""}