43 replies to this topic

#21 billybob-45

billybob-45

General

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • HomeDeposit NY, USA

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:03 AM

two words: tank destroyer, it would b a beast td if this cannon were put on a tank

You can either join me or die at the hands of the enemy, your choice~unknown

#22 m1 tanker

m1 tanker

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1007 posts
  • HomeBack in the Pacific!

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:28 PM

two words: tank destroyer, it would b a beast td if this cannon were put on a tank

Feel like it is gonna be like a light tank(like the stingray) faat, agile, light armored but with a very powerful 203mm rifled(I think it is rifled but I could be wrong) it will dominate and destroy the MBTs of today, so yeah
I don't need a clan, so don't ask me to join a clan. I'm better off playing solo.

#23 Totonho99

Totonho99

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1804 posts
  • HomePorto Alegre, Brazil

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

Feel like it is gonna be like a light tank(like the stingray) faat, agile, light armored but with a very powerful 203mm rifled(I think it is rifled but I could be wrong) it will dominate and destroy the MBTs of today, so yeah

*125mm *will probably be smoothbore because smoothbore masterrace
Killing stuff since 19a

#24 m1 tanker

m1 tanker

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1007 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 03:42 PM

I perfer rifled over smoothbore

I don't need a clan, so don't ask me to join a clan. I'm better off playing solo.

#25 randy12345

randy12345

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8358 posts
  • HomeLeeds, United Kingdom (Used to be NYC, now's Newark, New Jersey)

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:47 PM

I perfer rifled over smoothbore

me too, Rifled look sexy 😎

Bow down to my dank memes.

#26 m1 tanker

m1 tanker

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1007 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:53 PM

me too, Rifled look sexy

Yep

#27 randy12345

randy12345

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8358 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:05 PM

Yep

waht you going to do with derp cannon? Low accuracy and pen

#28 m1 tanker

m1 tanker

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1007 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

waht you going to do with derp cannon? Low accuracy and pen

Yeah, I heard that because the challenger 1 has a rifled 120mm cannon it holds the record of the most armor to pierce and still hold that record along the MBTs

#29 TheEncryptor

TheEncryptor

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • HomeSomewhere in California.

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:01 PM

yikes now thats scary and long

Thats what she said.

I'm sorry, couldn't resist ;-;

Edited by TheEncryptor, 21 September 2016 - 05:02 PM.

</TheEncryptor> Leader of [STAT] First Responders

STAT's motto: "Mess with one of us, you get all of us."

#30 raypanzer

raypanzer

Lieutenant

• PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • HomeIn India

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

i love China's cannon

Edited by raypanzer, 21 September 2016 - 07:40 PM.

name-graphics-ray-894966.gif

#31 stahltiger

stahltiger

Lieutenant

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:38 PM

China's new tank cannon oh I see it is really good this should be added in game if you guys
like it if you not you can say you are free to say

hq2.gif

#32 Red Faction

Red Faction

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1155 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

lets see if the turret of the tank can handle the barrrel
cuzzzzz made in china
  • randy12345 likes this

#33 randy12345

randy12345

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8358 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:15 AM

lets see if the turret of the tank can handle the barrrel
cuzzzzz made in china

lol, good one.

#34 Red Faction

Red Faction

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1155 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:43 AM

lol, good one.

xd

#35 basmal121

basmal121

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2460 posts
  • Home🇮🇶

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:56 AM

Why would modern cannon be rifled like WW2 / WW1 Cannons

smbnnn.jpg
 iPad Air 2 ~ Retina Display ~ iOS 10.2.1
64-bit A8X Triple-core 1.5 GHz Typhoon ~ PowerVR Series 6XT GXA6850 Octa-core ~ 2 GB RAM

#36 randy12345

randy12345

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8358 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:05 PM

Why would modern cannon be rifled like WW2 / WW1 Cannons

Because rifled cannons are far more accurate than smoothbore?

#37 basmal121

basmal121

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2460 posts
  • Home🇮🇶

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:09 PM

They have weaker penetration and lower range.

Rifled: using power to roll the shell inside the barrel to fire

Smoothbore: using power to push the shell out of the barrel

Edited by basmal121, 24 September 2016 - 02:10 PM.

smbnnn.jpg
64-bit A8X Triple-core 1.5 GHz Typhoon ~ PowerVR Series 6XT GXA6850 Octa-core ~ 2 GB RAM

#38 randy12345

randy12345

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8358 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:15 PM

They have weaker penetration and lower range.

Rifled: using power to roll the shell inside the barrel to fire

Smoothbore: using power to push the shell out of the barrel

Say that the the L11A5

#39 basmal121

basmal121

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2460 posts
  • Home🇮🇶

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:18 PM

Say that the the L11A5

Still

smbnnn.jpg

#40 Altank

Altank

~Everlasting Alpha~

• English Community Manager
  • 427 posts
  • HomeFrom the lands where the ground never thaws; beneath the scorched sky, where the clouds are torn and rent.

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

Say that the the L11A5

Actually not at all; the smoothbore design being de facto much more versatile and efficient in general under almost every aspect.

Regarding the accuracy - and taking into consideration kinetic-energy rounds only, being the main projectiles that rely the most on this parameter, for obvious reasons -, whereas rifled guns achieve projectile stabilization through internal rifling, i.e. a characteristic of the gun itself, smoothbore guns achieve projectile stabilization through projectile design's characteristics: these projectiles, in fact, stabilize themselves via fins during flight, meaning no rifling is thus necessary; however, such long, thin projectiles, are too long in relation to their diameter to develop the necessary spin rate through rifling as well. 

Returning now to the aforementioned point, i.e. the accuracy, rifling inevitably slows the projectile down, leading to poor terminal ballistics; whereas, due to higher muzzle velocity, smoothbore achieves longer range, flatter trajectory - subsequently leading to greater accuracy - and enhanced armor-piercing capabilities.
In order to successfully fire APFSDS rounds from rifled guns and thus achieve comparable projectile performances, installation of a bearing between the projectile and the sabot is needed. Just going smoothbore is the easiest and best option.

Also, returning to my first point, i.e. the superiority of the smoothbore design, not having to rely on an internal rifling to achieve projectile stabilization means reducing the time and expense of rifling barrels, as well as the need for replacement due to barrel wear: a smooth surface wears out a lot less than a grooved surface, with all the logistical and maintenance advantages that subsequently derive.

Finally, smoothbore guns can fire a much - and I'm using an euphemism - wider range of projectiles, including HEAT rounds and, most notably, ATGMs, which isn't exactly a trifling strategic advantage, also considering some ATGMs having solid anti-helicopter capabilities, like the LAHAT.
Rifled guns can fire HESH rounds, which the British have always been fond of; regarded by many as the rifled design's trump card as allegedly being extremely efficient against soft and armored targets alike. Well, actually not: armor is no longer as it used to be: composite materials, add-on armor kits, modular armor and reactive armor mean spalling is no longer a recurrent phenomenon nor subsequently a reliable method to put enemy AFVs out of action; during the Gulf War, a Warrior IFV suffered a friendly-fire incident and was struck by a HESH round. Most of the blast was absorbed by the add-on armour, and only the driver was injured. The only Challenger 2 destroyed in action was lost to, once again, friendly-fire and struck by a HESH round; however, the MBT was hit on an open hatch, which was shattered into deadly fragments which subsequently set fire to some HESH rounds, igniting in turn the bagged charges. I would say that was mostly due to mere bad luck than because of HESH performance.
Against soft targets a plain HE round is better, against concrete a delay-fused semi APHE, like the M908, is better under almost any aspects.

Oh, and to put the cherry on the cake, even the British acknowledged all this. It's not a case that a proposed upgraded Challenger 2 variant directly derived from a Challenger 2 fitted with the Rheinmetall L55 and still retaining all standard L30A1 gun equipment: early trials, in fact, apparently revealed that the German tungsten DM53 round was more effective than the depleted-uranium CHARM 3. However, the upgrade program was never carried out due to the lack of any current need for an improved version and because of an alleged lack of funds.

The rifled design is but a conglomerate of compromises clumsily holding up an outdated concept.

• basmal121 likes this

7TPwwPK.gif

~Dura Lex, Sed Lex~

~Ignorantia Legis non excusat~

~Legum servi sumus ut liberi esse possimus.~

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

{parse template="include_lightbox_real" group="global" params=""} {parse template="inlineLogin" group="global" params=""}