Eastern Front World War II Tiger German armour tank ace tank

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • HomeThe Once Great USA...The Place That I Still Love.

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:00 AM

Dem tank models..... Got a reliable price range for a knock off?

Soarski, on ebay, I saw the Otto Carius Mid-Production Tiger I for $35.00, plus about $15.00 shipping and handling. The Tamiya Otto Carius Jagdtiger is on ebay for $56.00 , plus $16.00 shipping (another model ridiculously expensive). The Dragon Model Tigers may be sold out and are probably way overpriced anyway (in my opinion). You could make your own Carius Tigers by getting the correct version of the tank, painting, and numbering it like Carius' Tiger. The 1/72nd scale diecast Tiger, an older release, is probably around $200.00 (also ridiculously over priced), if you can find one.

ICH BIN EIN BERLINER!!! ("I am a jelly doughnut!")President John F. Kennedy, June 26, 1963 speech, Berlin, Germany. MOTTO OF THE NINJA CARNIVORES (TNC)!

#22 InPlainSight

InPlainSight

Vice Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

Here is the Part II finale (original article can be found at: http://www.flamesofw...spx?art_id=3234 ) of the series on the great German World War II Tank Ace, Otto Carius, who is still alive today, and running his own pharmacy, "Tiger Apotheke", in Germany.
Carius' wartime experieces generates great interest today. Tamiya Models has honored Carius' accomplishments by releasing 1/35th scale model kits of his Tiger I, and late war Jagdtiger tank destroyer. Dragon Models has released a 1/72nd scale diecast metal model of Carius' "Mid Production" Tiger I; his Mid Production Tiger I in 1/35th scale, in 2 separate versions representing Carius' Tiger at the Battle of Malonovaka and the Battle of Narva; and a 1/6th scale action figure of him in his "walking out dress uniform".
Carius was also featured in the "Greatest Tank Battles" series, in Season 2, Episode 5, entitled "Battle for the Baltics".
I highly recommend that you read Carius' book, "Tigers in the Mud", about his wartime experiences. The book is available in print from Stackpole Books, as well as an Ebook available from Amazon.com.
PART II
Tigers in the Mud
Otto Carius on the Eastern Front, 1942-1944
by Mike Haught
In Dünaburg
In June 1944, Carius and the 2nd Heavy Panzer Company were transferred to Dünaburg to fend off the Soviet offensive against Army Group North. The Soviets managed to outflank the German defensive lines further south during Operation Bagration aimed at destroying Army Group Centre. The renewed Soviet assault in the north intended to take the port city of Riga.
On 22 July 1944, Leutnant Carius with his company of eight Tigers advanced towards the village of Malinava, north of Dunaburg, to halt the Soviet advance. Carius and Leutnant Albert Kerscher took a Kübelwagen to recon the village. They found the Soviets had arrived in the village. Carius knew that the force in the village was only the vanguard, waiting for the rest of the Soviet force to arrive. He knew that this was the critical time to attack and recapture the village before the reinforcements arrived.
Carius attacked the village using two Tigers and kept the six remaining Tigers in the reserve. There was only one road leading into the city and attacking with the entire company would create a dangerous bottleneck. Carius led the attack in his Tiger and Kerscher’s Tiger followed close behind.
Surprise and speed were critical to Carius’ plan. When Carius’ Tiger was about to enter the village, two T-34/85 tanks were observed rotating their turrets. At that moment, Kerscher fired and knocked them out.Then Carius noticed a strange tank ahead of him and for a second he thought he was facing a captured King Tiger. However, he quickly reidentified the target as one of the new Soviet IS-2 heavy tanks. He opened fire and catching the heavy tank in the flank. The Soviet tank exploded into a ball of flame.
The two Tigers went on to cause havoc within the village, knocking out 17 Soviet tanks in 20 minutes. Carius received Oak Leaves for his Knights Cross for his involvement in and around Dünaburg.
A Brush with Death
On 24 July 1944, Carius dashed ahead of his tanks in a motorcycle and sidecar on a reconnaissance mission, as he often did prior to a mission. No sooner had he got out of his motorcyle than he and his driver were ambushed by Soviet troops, suffering shots through the leg and arm, as well as four bullets in the back.
Carius tried to draw his weapon with his one healthy arm, but was stopped by a Russian officer who was aiming his pistol at Carius’ head. Just as the Russian pulled the trigger, Carius turned his head and the shot went into his neck. As Carius faced death, the Tiger tanks from Carius’ company stormed onto the scene in a sort of Hollywood-style rescue operation. The Russians were scared off and Tigers stopped to help Carius. They bandaged him up and stopped the bleeding from his leg using Carius’ elastic suspenders. They put him on the back of one of the Tigers and Carius clung to the turret for dear life.
Suddenly, the Russians opened fire again. Carius stood up on his good leg and yelled at the tank commander, telling him were the fire was coming from. However, as the turret turned, Carius’ foot was jammed in between the turret and the hull.
Now completely exhausted and only one functional limb, Carius was taken to a field hospital where he was treated and made a full recovery after cheating death.
Otto’s Finale
In August 1944, Carius was transferred to the newly created 512th Heavy Tank-hunter Battalion where he received the command of the 2nd company newly equipped with the powerful new Jagdtigers.
This 72-ton tank hunter was armed with a 128mm Pak44 L/55 gun. Despite its size and powerful gun, Carius hated it. He didn’t like that it was exteremely slow, had poor manoeuvrability, and used a weak transmission. Since it was an assault gun, Carius also lamented the loss of a turret. Overall, Carius was not impressed.
The company was called into action in March 1945, without finishing its training. Carius fought in the Ruhr Pocket, before surrendering to the US Army on 15 April 1945.
After the war, Otto Carius became an owner of a pharmacy called the Tiger Apotheke. He remains the highest scoring tank ace alive today, with well over 150 kills to his credit.
END OF PART II
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS (as listed in Wikipedia)
Wound Badge in Black (8 July 1941)
Eastern Front Medal (20 August 1941)
Iron Cross 2nd Class (15 September 1942)
Iron Cross 1st Class (23 November 1943)
Wound Badge in Silver (15 December 1943)
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves:
*Knight's Cross on 4 May 1944 as Leutnant of the Reserves and platoon leader in the 2./schwere Panzer-
Abteilung 502
*535th Oak Leaves on 27 July 1944 as Leutnant of the Reserves and leader of the2./schwere Panzer-
Abteilung 502
Panzer Badge in Silver
*2nd Grade (15 July 1944)
*3rd Grade (1 September 1944)
Wound Badge in Gold (11 September 1944)
Total victories (kills): 150+-majority on the Eastern Front.

Good read and intriguing plot! Kudos again cmerry!

#23 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

Good read and intriguing plot! Kudos again cmerry!

Thanks IPS, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

ICH BIN EIN BERLINER!!! ("I am a jelly doughnut!")President John F. Kennedy, June 26, 1963 speech, Berlin, Germany. MOTTO OF THE NINJA CARNIVORES (TNC)!

#24 Soarski

Soarski

Lieutenant

• PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • HomePhilippines

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

Soarski, on ebay, I saw the Otto Carius Mid-Production Tiger I for $35.00, plus about $15.00 shipping and handling. The Tamiya Otto Carius Jagdtiger is on ebay for $56.00 , plus $16.00 shipping (another model ridiculously expensive). The Dragon Model Tigers may be sold out and are probably way overpriced anyway (in my opinion). You could make your own Carius Tigers by getting the correct version of the tank, painting, and numbering it like Carius' Tiger. The 1/72nd scale diecast Tiger, an older release, is probably around $200.00 (also ridiculously over priced), if you can find one.

Thanks. I really want to get my hands on one.
The year is 2067 two super states have emerged. The Union of Nations led by The United States, Western Russia and Japan. The People's Coalition led by China, Eastern Russia and Iran. Both super states utilize ingenious Land Warfare drones piloted by single soldiers and based on tank designs from the Cold War to the 21st century. Both countries manufacture massive amounts of tanks and weaponry. The People's Coalition uses the war to justify the dull quality of life endured by their people. The Union of Nations has no choice but to manufacture massive amounts of war material to defend themselves from the coalition and to counter attack. Naval and Aerial warfare have both reached a stalemate and the only battlefield left is on land. This has allowed most Archipelagos and countries protected by water to remain relatively intact. However, both powers are too equally matched for one to successfully invade the other. Both powers have equally advanced missile technology that prevents any missile-borne nuke to successfully hit. Both countries have signed a treaty barring both of them from developing new types of tanks. However, there are a series of approved modifications for each tank. The Tankers are viewed by the populace as heroes.

#25 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

Thanks. I really want to get my hands on one.

The Tamiya Tiger and Jagdtiger seem readily available. Ebay, Amazon.com, and online hobby stores, or if you have a local hobby store, would be good places to search.

#26 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:30 AM

:)

#27 Cat tank

Cat tank

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • HomeHideout

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

I watched the video of it, it's kinda amazing if you tell me http://m.youtube.com...h?v=k8NklsPWX1A you can find it here
You have no idea what's coming..

#28 Panzer-Blitz

Panzer-Blitz

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1774 posts
  • HomeThe Q-Stein Empire

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

I got a Tamiya Panther for $17, so you can find cheaper model prices...if you know where to look.

#29 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

I watched the video of it, it's kinda amazing if you tell me http://m.youtube.com...h?v=k8NklsPWX1A you can find it here

These videos on tank battles are interesting; I followed the link you posted and started watching that episode again.

#30 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:35 PM

I got a Tamiya Panther for $17, so you can find cheaper model prices...if you know where to look.

When you get it done, Blitz, take some pictures and put them on the forum.

#31 Pikachu77

Pikachu77

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • HomeSomewhere on Planet Earth.

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

Nice, can u tell me where u get them? I love collecting and building plastic models! I built the m5 stuart when i was 7 years old because my mom's friend was Japanese and she gave the kit to me as a present! But the problem is the high costs for most of them.... 

Pikachu77, the Yellow Thunder!
Proud member of the clan [HAWK]

#32 Reventer

Reventer

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts
  • HomeJakarta, The Republic Of Indonesia [RI]

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

My dreams is being a modern main battle tank designer.........

You are brought down, will you stand up an.fight once more.will you fall helplessly for fate to come. As long as that handgun stick to your fingers... as long as you got your bullets armed...one can never surrender for what he trusts, a goal, a dream, a passion on what he knows belongs for the greater good. So ill ask you again, will you get up or fall?

#33 Cat tank

Cat tank

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • HomeHideout

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

These videos on tank battles are interesting; I followed the link you posted and started watching that episode again.

I knew you′d like it ;)
  • cmerry65 likes this
You have no idea what's coming..

#34 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

I knew you′d like it ;)

Right on! :)

#35 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

That's cool! :)

#36 Pikachu77

Pikachu77

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • HomeSomewhere on Planet Earth.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

That's cool! :)

If people still use tanks in the future...

Pikachu77, the Yellow Thunder!
Proud member of the clan [HAWK]

#37 Sharks06

Sharks06

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4741 posts
  • HomeGreat Britian the land of the brave the island of courage

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

Make Indonesia proud
( winning is not final defeat is not fatal it's courage that counts)-Winston Churchill
( we fight for our allies we never give up friendship is the best weapon)- sharks06
( always fearsome never gives up fights for more fights for victory and fights for allies that make a prefect sharks kill for there team to survive not only themselves that the basic way of survival it's always better to hunt in packs then alone ) sharks06

#38 Sharks06

Sharks06

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4741 posts
  • HomeGreat Britian the land of the brave the island of courage

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

If people still use tanks in the future...

I'm worried that in the future tanks will be replaced by mechs which are huge robots with guns like the ones in pacific rim and titanfall
( winning is not final defeat is not fatal it's courage that counts)-Winston Churchill
( we fight for our allies we never give up friendship is the best weapon)- sharks06
( always fearsome never gives up fights for more fights for victory and fights for allies that make a prefect sharks kill for there team to survive not only themselves that the basic way of survival it's always better to hunt in packs then alone ) sharks06

#39 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

I'm worried that in the future tanks will be replaced by mechs which are huge robots with guns like the ones in pacific rim and titanfall

I think that's a real, possibility, as well as, big MBT's getting smaller and smaller.

#40 Reventer

Reventer

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts
  • HomeJakarta, The Republic Of Indonesia [RI]

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

Well Als have no witts and heart ao you cant trust em 100% to do their duties........and hopefully my country finnish the huge corvette ship right away......because its a hell of a engineering marvel

You are brought down, will you stand up an.fight once more.will you fall helplessly for fate to come. As long as that handgun stick to your fingers... as long as you got your bullets armed...one can never surrender for what he trusts, a goal, a dream, a passion on what he knows belongs for the greater good. So ill ask you again, will you get up or fall?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eastern Front, World War II, Tiger, German, armour, tank ace, tank

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

{parse template="include_lightbox_real" group="global" params=""} {parse template="inlineLogin" group="global" params=""}