World War II Tiger ace German Eastern Front

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • HomeThe Once Great USA...The Place That I Still Love.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:41 AM

Here is an great article on one of the greatest German WWII tank aces, Otto Carius, who had 150+ tank kills during the war. Otto has published a book on his wartime experiences called, "Tigers in the Mud." I have read this book and highly recommend it for those interested in this subject. It is available in print published by Stackpole Books, or as an Ebook from Amazon. The great thing too is that Otto is still alive today and owns a pharmacy in Herschweiler-Pettersheim, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, called "Tiger Apotheke."

The original article can be found at: http://flamesofwar.c...spx?art_id=3234

I am posting this article in 2 parts.

Part I

Tigers in the Mud: Otto Carius on the Eastern Front, 1942-1944
by Mike Haught

Otto Carius was born in 1922 in Southwest Germany. In May 1940, Carius volunteered to join the 104th Infantry Placement Battalion. He received training in the infantry before being assigned to the 21st Panzer Regiment, of the 20th Panzer Division. He saw his first combat action in June 1941, during Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of the Soviet Union.

On the Leningrad Front, 1941-42

The 21st Panzer Regiment was equipped with the Czech-made Panzer 38(t). Otto Carius served as the tank’s loader in the 10th Panzer Company. When Carius and the rest of his crew received its first Panzer 38(t) tanks they were excited. The tank was fast, manoeuvrable and they felt the armour would protect them from anything the enemy could throw at them. However, as Carius noted, ‘We were enthusiastic about the armour protection and didn’t realize until later that it would only serve as moral protection for us. If necessary, it would stop small arms fire’.

Only a month into the Russian campaign, Carius’ tank was hit and the crew had to bail out for the first time. A disillusioned Carius wrote, ‘We cursed the brittle and inelastic Czech steel that gave the Russian gun so little trouble. The pieces of our own armour plating and assembly bolts caused considerably more damage than the shrapnel of the round itself’. Carius was hit in the face, losing several teeth in the process. He recovered at an aid station and hitchhiked his way back to the front.

In early August 1941, Carius was promoted to Unteroffizier and received orders to report to the 25th Panzer Replacement Battalion to begin officer training. In February 1942, Carius failed to meet the qualifications for officer and was returned to the 21st Panzer Regiment. He was given command of a Panzer platoon, but the regiment only had enough tanks to equip a company, so his platoon had to fight as infantry until they received new Panzer 38(t) tanks. Carius and the rest of the 10th Panzer Company finally received replacement tanks and joined the fight once again.During the fighting in the early summer of 1942, the regiment received its first Panzer III and IV tanks, which helped even the playing field against the tough new Soviet T-34 tanks. For his combat experience and leadership Carius was promoted to Leutnant and served as the commander of the battalion’s pioneer platoon.

Carius and his Tiger

In January 1943, Carius was transferred to the 500th Replacement Battalion. When he arrived, he discovered that the battalion was formed exclusively from Eastern Front Panzer veterans to train on the new Panzer VI Tiger heavy tank. His excitement was somewhat curbed when he was assigned to run the officer’s club instead of taking command of a Tiger. Nevertheless, Carius went to work and met Hauptmann Schober, commander of the 2nd Company.

Carius kept him well supplied with French vermouth and Schober saw to it that Carius was reassigned to his company. Soon there after the battalion was renamed the 502nd Heavy Panzer Battalion, and Carius was given command of a Tiger from the 2nd Heavy Panzer Company.

After a short stay in France, where the crews became acquainted with their new tanks, the company was dispatched to the Leningrad sector on the East Front. Carius and the rest of the company first saw action in July 1943 and fought for eight straight weeks.

In November 1943, the company was moved to counter the Russian breakthrough near Vitebsk and fought to hold open the important highway to Newel. Here, Carius commanded several attacks with his platoon of Tiger tanks and added several more tank kills to his already impressive tally.

During the fighting Carius’ gunner had an amazing stroke of luck. Carius wrote, ‘My gunner, Unteroffizeier Kramer, can take credit for a deed that was probably unparalleled on the Eastern Front. That is, he succeeded in shooting down a Russian fighter with a tank cannon ... Kramer, upset by the unrelenting nuisance of these guys, elevated his cannon along the approach route. I talked him in. He took a chance and pulled the trigger. On the second attempt, he hit one of the ‘bees’ in its wing. The Russian crashed behind us’.

Narva

The 2nd Company, 502nd Heavy Panzer Battalion was then ordered to reinforce the front with the 11th ‘Nordland’ SS-Freiwilligen Panzergrenadier Division at Narva. Carius fought hard and as a result won the Knight’s Cross in recognition of his efforts on 4 May 1944.

In Narva, Carius had assumed default command of the company. Oberleutnant von Schiller was officially in command but lacked the respect of the rest of the company. Von Schiller often shrugged off operations onto Carius who picked up the slack and commanded the company in his stead.

End of Part I

Attached Thumbnails

• 220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1979-064-06,_Otto_Carius.jpeg
  • Carius2.jpeg

• Kristian tanks, InPlainSight and Pikachu77 like this

ICH BIN EIN BERLINER!!! ("I am a jelly doughnut!")President John F. Kennedy, June 26, 1963 speech, Berlin, Germany. MOTTO OF THE NINJA CARNIVORES (TNC)!

#2 InPlainSight

InPlainSight

Vice Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

Here is an great article on one of the greatest German WWII tank aces, Otto Carius, who had 150+ tank kills during the war. Otto has published a book on his wartime experiences called, "Tigers in the Mud." I have read this book and highly recommend it for those interested in this subject. It is available in print published by Stackpole Books, or as an Ebook from Amazon. The great thing too is that Otto is still alive today and owns a pharmacy in Herschweiler-Pettersheim, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, called "Tiger Apotheke."
Part I
by Mike Haught
Otto Carius was born in 1922 in Southwest Germany. In May 1940, Carius volunteered to join the 104th Infantry Placement Battalion. He received training in the infantry before being assigned to the 21st Panzer Regiment, of the 20th Panzer Division. He saw his first combat action in June 1941, during Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of the Soviet Union.
The 21st Panzer Regiment was equipped with the Czech-made Panzer 38(t). Otto Carius served as the tank’s loader in the 10th Panzer Company. When Carius and the rest of his crew received its first Panzer 38(t) tanks they were excited. The tank was fast, manoeuvrable and they felt the armour would protect them from anything the enemy could throw at them. However, as Carius noted, ‘We were enthusiastic about the armour protection and didn’t realize until later that it would only serve as moral protection for us. If necessary, it would stop small arms fire’.
Only a month into the Russian campaign, Carius’ tank was hit and the crew had to bail out for the first time. A disillusioned Carius wrote, ‘We cursed the brittle and inelastic Czech steel that gave the Russian gun so little trouble. The pieces of our own armour plating and assembly bolts caused considerably more damage than the shrapnel of the round itself’. Carius was hit in the face, losing several teeth in the process. He recovered at an aid station and hitchhiked his way back to the front.
In early August 1941, Carius was promoted to Unteroffizier and received orders to report to the 25th Panzer Replacement Battalion to begin officer training. In February 1942, Carius failed to meet the qualifications for officer and was returned to the 21st Panzer Regiment. He was given command of a Panzer platoon, but the regiment only had enough tanks to equip a company, so his platoon had to fight as infantry until they received new Panzer 38(t) tanks. Carius and the rest of the 10th Panzer Company finally received replacement tanks and joined the fight once again.During the fighting in the early summer of 1942, the regiment received its first Panzer III and IV tanks, which helped even the playing field against the tough new Soviet T-34 tanks. For his combat experience and leadership Carius was promoted to Leutnant and served as the commander of the battalion’s pioneer platoon.
Carius and his Tiger
In January 1943, Carius was transferred to the 500th Replacement Battalion. When he arrived, he discovered that the battalion was formed exclusively from Eastern Front Panzer veterans to train on the new Panzer VI Tiger heavy tank. His excitement was somewhat curbed when he was assigned to run the officer’s club instead of taking command of a Tiger. Nevertheless, Carius went to work and met Hauptmann Schober, commander of the 2nd Company.
Carius kept him well supplied with French vermouth and Schober saw to it that Carius was reassigned to his company. Soon there after the battalion was renamed the 502nd Heavy Panzer Battalion, and Carius was given command of a Tiger from the 2nd Heavy Panzer Company.
After a short stay in France, where the crews became acquainted with their new tanks, the company was dispatched to the Leningrad sector on the East Front. Carius and the rest of the company first saw action in July 1943 and fought for eight straight weeks.
In November 1943, the company was moved to counter the Russian breakthrough near Vitebsk and fought to hold open the important highway to Newel. Here, Carius commanded several attacks with his platoon of Tiger tanks and added several more tank kills to his already impressive tally.
During the fighting Carius’ gunner had an amazing stroke of luck. Carius wrote, ‘My gunner, Unteroffizeier Kramer, can take credit for a deed that was probably unparalleled on the Eastern Front. That is, he succeeded in shooting down a Russian fighter with a tank cannon ... Kramer, upset by the unrelenting nuisance of these guys, elevated his cannon along the approach route. I talked him in. He took a chance and pulled the trigger. On the second attempt, he hit one of the ‘bees’ in its wing. The Russian crashed behind us’.
Narva
The 2nd Company, 502nd Heavy Panzer Battalion was then ordered to reinforce the front with the 11th ‘Nordland’ SS-Freiwilligen Panzergrenadier Division at Narva. Carius fought hard and as a result won the Knight’s Cross in recognition of his efforts on 4 May 1944.
In Narva, Carius had assumed default command of the company. Oberleutnant von Schiller was officially in command but lacked the respect of the rest of the company. Von Schiller often shrugged off operations onto Carius who picked up the slack and commanded the company in his stead.
End of Part I

Good article. Added some more knowledge of WW2 to my brain. Thanks.
  • cmerry65 and InPlainSight like this

#3 Pikachu77

Pikachu77

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • HomeSomewhere on Planet Earth.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

Nice! Keep these topics up! :)
  • cmerry65 and InPlainSight like this
Pikachu77, the Yellow Thunder!
Proud member of the clan [HAWK]

#4 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

Good article. Added some more knowledge of WW2 to my brain. Thanks.

Thanks IPS! I'm glad you liked it and got something out reading it. Part II will be put up soon! :)

ICH BIN EIN BERLINER!!! ("I am a jelly doughnut!")President John F. Kennedy, June 26, 1963 speech, Berlin, Germany. MOTTO OF THE NINJA CARNIVORES (TNC)!

#5 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Nice! Keep these topics up! :)

Thanks Pikachu! I appreciate your comment! I have more planned for the future. Look for Part II on "Otto Carius" very soon! Rock On! :)

#6 Panzer-Blitz

Panzer-Blitz

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1774 posts
  • HomeThe Q-Stein Empire

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

If anyone wants his pharmacy website, I have it. It has a mailing address, and you can order tigers in the Mud too. Of course, it isn't the translated version...but if you sent some money, I'm sure he'd sign a copy of the English version.

#7 Reventer

Reventer

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts
  • HomeJakarta, The Republic Of Indonesia [RI]

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:01 AM

Keep up the dang nice work! Nice to see a encyclopedia i the forums lol :)
  • cmerry65, InPlainSight and Pikachu77 like this

You are brought down, will you stand up an.fight once more.will you fall helplessly for fate to come. As long as that handgun stick to your fingers... as long as you got your bullets armed...one can never surrender for what he trusts, a goal, a dream, a passion on what he knows belongs for the greater good. So ill ask you again, will you get up or fall?

#8 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

Keep up the dang nice work! Nice to see a encyclopedia i the forums lol :)

Thanks much Rev! I love the history and stories of these great soldiers. They gave so much for their particular countries for which they fought, regardless of how right or wrong the politics of the country were. If you haven't read Carius' book, "Tigers in the Mud", do so, it is an excellent book! I will post Part II on Otto Carius soon. Rock on! :)

#9 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:55 AM

:)

#10 Pikachu77

Pikachu77

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

Whens part 2?

#11 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

Whens part 2?

I'll put it up in 2 more days or so. :)

#12 Reventer

Reventer

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

Oh you guys should know how much wikipedia pages I read about war machines......im like a talking wikipedia now lol

You are brought down, will you stand up an.fight once more.will you fall helplessly for fate to come. As long as that handgun stick to your fingers... as long as you got your bullets armed...one can never surrender for what he trusts, a goal, a dream, a passion on what he knows belongs for the greater good. So ill ask you again, will you get up or fall?

#13 panzerfaüst1

panzerfaüst1

Warrant Officer

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Homeblut und ehre

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Whittman was another great german tank ace of ww2

#14 Panzer-Blitz

Panzer-Blitz

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1774 posts
  • HomeThe Q-Stein Empire

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

Und mein great grandfather, Albert Ernst.

#15 Sharks06

Sharks06

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4741 posts
  • HomeGreat Britian the land of the brave the island of courage

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

Part I
by Mike Haught
Carius and his Tiger
Narva
End of Part I

wow your some dictionary that comes to ww2 your really clever dont google it cmerry it rock on cmerry
  • cmerry65 and Pikachu77 like this
( winning is not final defeat is not fatal it's courage that counts)-Winston Churchill
( we fight for our allies we never give up friendship is the best weapon)- sharks06
( always fearsome never gives up fights for more fights for victory and fights for allies that make a prefect sharks kill for there team to survive not only themselves that the basic way of survival it's always better to hunt in packs then alone ) sharks06

#16 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

wow your some dictionary that comes to ww2 your really clever dont google it cmerry it rock on cmerry

Thanks Sharks! :)

#17 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Und mein great grandfather, Albert Ernst.

I looked up your great grandfather, Albert Ernst, Blitz, and found him be quite a brave and accomplished soldier. He fought in Nashorn, Jagdpanther, and Jagdtiger tank destroyers. In 1943, he destroyed 14 Soviet tanks in one day with 21 rounds at Witebsk, after which he was known as the "Tiger of Witebsk". He was a Knight's Cross recipient and survived the war. There is existing video of he and his unit's surrender to American forces at the end of WWII. Ernst is also one of the tank aces featured in Franz Kurowski's book, "Panzer Aces", volume 1. You must be very proud, Blitz, be related to such a great soldier.

#18 Pikachu77

Pikachu77

Commander of the Army

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

Wasn't there another Ernest something...

#19 cmerry65

cmerry65

Field Marshal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:11 PM

Wasn't there another Ernest something...

The other one I know of is Ernst Barkmann, the SS Panzer ace in one of the other posts I've put in the "Historical Notes" section. There may be more "Ernsts" that I were Panzer Aces that I haven't read about yet.

#20 Reventer

Reventer

Supreme Commander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2426 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

Wonder which sherman firefly commander shoot micheal wittmans tiger and destroyed it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: World War II, Tiger, ace, German, Eastern Front

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

{parse template="include_lightbox_real" group="global" params=""} {parse template="inlineLogin" group="global" params=""}