The Matters of the Mind
To all Tankers:
This is a message, a warning, a reminder, and more importantly: a reality check. The matter at hand this topic is going to discuss is one that some refuse to discuss; while others, suffer from it on a daily basis. I am not here to sugar coat the situation, this is a reality, and it is a problem plaguing people everyday.
This topic will be addressing the seriousness of depression, suicide, cyber-bullying, and everything in between.
First of all, understand that I am not a qualified individual with a degree in human psychology or a medical doctorate regarding mental health. I am only speaking from the training I have been given regarding the subject, and providing external sources that can further elaborate on the subject. I will also address a question that has been asked to the Tanktastic Staff a few times.
Let me start of by saying that I strongly urge all members of this Community should take a stride, and offer solace to those who cannot seem to find it.
The Tanktastic English Staff will also do what they can to address this issue with the utmost concern. We will do all we can do provide help, but we are not professionals.
This is an unseen force that can take anyone, anytime, as victim. It does not matter how strong a person may seem, it takes a toll on them eventually. Severity can range on a spectrum that is almost impossible to comprehend. Thus, some actions to cure, or help a person may not be enough for one, but enough for another. There are steps to take in every situation; some bases to hit, if you will. I will list a few myths/facts, as well as some warning signs below here:
- People who talk about suicide are not really going to do it.
- Almost everyone who attempts suicide has given some clue or warning. Don’t ignore even indirect references to death or suicide. Statements like “You’ll be sorry when I’m gone,” “I can’t see any way out,”—no matter how casually or jokingly said—may indicate serious suicidal feelings.*
2. Anyone who attempts suicide is crazy.
- Most suicidal people are not psychotic or insane. They are upset, grief-stricken, depressed or despairing, but extreme distress and emotional pain are not necessarily signs of mental illness.*
3. Talking about suicide plants the idea in the person's mind.
- You don’t give a suicidal person morbid ideas by talking about suicide. The opposite is true—bringing up the subject of suicide and discussing it openly is one of the most helpful things you can do.*
*Source: SAVE – Suicide Awareness Voices of Education
- Take any suicidal talk or behavior seriously. It’s not just a warning sign that the person is thinking about suicide—it’s a cry for help.
Some of the ways you can identify this sort of behaviour, is simply through observation:
- Talking about suicide, feeling of hopelessness, unexpected goodbyes, giving away personal belongings, and withdrawal from normal behaviour.
Below here will be a link that I urge all reading this to take a moment to look over:
Now, that being said, here is another link that presents emergency numbers:
One more link: one that provides counseling.
Now that all being addressed, I need to address a question that has been given to the Tanktastic Staff a few times:
"Should an official team be formed for this matter?"
The answer is no, and let me explain why.
The Tanktastic Community is a wonderful place, I have seen it with my own eyes. There are plenty of people here willing to help one another, asking for it is something to be ashamed of. However, we cannot deem a team for this Community "official" as none of us here, as far as I know, have an accredited degree regarding this matter. There are real professionals in this world that understand this serious subject and know how to address it. Each community member is strongly urged to provide help if they can. But understand, one person can only do so much, and professional intervention should be considered. A team won't be formed for a specific purpose such as this, all of us here have the capability to help someone else.
Please follow the links I have placed above to get more information than I can put in this message.
One more thing:
- Anyone found to have been in provocation of this behaviour will be held to the highest possible punishments under the Tanktastic EULA. There is no excuse to harass someone to the brink of suicide, or any other self-harming thoughts.
Take care of yourselves, and your brethren.