Photo
- - - - -

Potential solution to Combat Logging?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Potential solution to Combat Logging? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

This idea...

1. I agree. (8 votes [72.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

2. I disagree. (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. I have an alternative suggestion. (2 votes [18.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mr blue sky01

Mr blue sky01

Brexitarian Hussar

• In-game Moderator
  • 537 posts
  • HomeGreat Britain, England.

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

Hello all,

Indeed, this is a major issue in-game where some players attempt to fix their k/d or simply deny their opponents a kill by blaming lag. My solution is simple - add a timer for when someone leaves a room. A notification would display, "Leaving room in T seconds". T would represent the timer counting down from a prescribed amount perhaps 3 seconds, up for discussion.

I couldn't find any topics relating to my proposed suggestion, I could be wrong.

All comments and feedback are welcome.

Kind regards, 

Mr blue sky01.

"Victory is changing the hearts of your opponents by gentleness and kindness" ― Salahuddin al-Ayyubi (RA)

#2 Copperhead171

Copperhead171

Corporal

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • HomeAlabama, United States

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:40 PM

Sounds good to me, seems very fair and it's a much less aggressive approach than other games, doesn't really punish the people who honestly have to leave the game for an actual reason, which is great. I suppose at least 6 seconds would be good, maybe 10? Ya know, for the poor Merk drivers and their crazy long reloads. Anyway, good stuff blue, hope this gets implemented.

"I am invisible, I am stealth, I am... bush tank..." 

#3 FieldMarshal

FieldMarshal

Corporal

• Pip
  • 37 posts
  • HomeSaint–Petersburg, North Capital of Russia

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:50 AM

Alternative idea.
I think that it's easier to deal with this, just attributing the frag to the last player who shot into the logger before he logged.
It seems to me that such an idea is easier at the level of incarnation and more effective.

Edited by FieldMarshal, 04 January 2018 - 01:51 AM.

FieldMarshal My profile in VKontakte
Devices: Apple iPad Wi-Fi (4), Apple iPhone 5S.
Playing Tanktastic from 11.04.2015

#4 dragontanker

dragontanker

Dark Mercenary

• English Community Representative
  • Others: In-game Senior Moderator
  • 1938 posts
  • HomeNatural Abyss

Posted 04 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

Seeing how the developers managed to create a way to keep us invincible for a moment after spawn, this idea wouldn't be that far fetched. I know nothing about game development. But I imagine the concept is similar.

Reigning in the SkiesOverseer of the Realms

#5 Error 403

Error 403

Flawless Life

• English Community Coordinator
  • 3352 posts
  • HomeThe oil land, or better known as Norway.

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:40 AM

The idea is good. But imagine the mess in the notification bar when several players attempt to leave at the same time, and when players change their mind and abort the operation. All these notifications will be together with the notifications about kills, deaths, as well as players joining. Unless it would be in a separate section, of course, but it would still be a mess. Also, keep in mind that some players do everything they can to keep the death rate as low as possible, this includes force closing the game if they have to do so, though it takes a little longer time than to normally leave a match.

Another simple solution would be to disable the leave button for as long as a player is under attack, and add a timer interval after the attack on, say five seconds. After the specified amount of time, the leave button will be enabled again. Or wait until the health is restored after an attack before the button gets enabled again.

• Saphira1 likes this

u0KGBYG.gif

:: English Community Coordinator ::
 Forum Rules  EULA  Support  In-game Reports 

#6 Mr blue sky01

Mr blue sky01

Brexitarian Hussar

• In-game Moderator
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:58 AM

The idea is good. But imagine the mess in the notification bar when several players attempt to leave at the same time, and when players change their mind and abort the operation. All these notifications will be together with the notifications about kills, deaths, as well as players joining. Unless it would be in a separate section, of course, but it would still be a mess. Also, keep in mind that some players do everything they can to keep the death rate as low as possible, this includes force closing the game if they have to do so, though it takes a little longer time than to normally leave a match.

Sorry, I should clarify that by notification I meant a window would appear in-game with the countdown and a cancel button. Similar to the window that appears when your phone is low on battery. I could try to make a concept image.

As with dragontanker, I know nothing about game development.

"Victory is changing the hearts of your opponents by gentleness and kindness" ― Salahuddin al-Ayyubi (RA)

#7 Error 403

Error 403

Flawless Life

• 3352 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:28 AM

Sorry, I should clarify that by notification I meant a window would appear in-game with the countdown and a cancel button. Similar to the window that appears when your phone is low on battery. I could try to make a concept image.

As with dragontanker, I know nothing about game development.

Then I understand.

u0KGBYG.gif

#8 Copperhead171

Copperhead171

Corporal

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

Error's idea is pretty solid, but there would need to be some kind of fail safe for when people try to close the game itself rather than just leave. Honestly at this point, Field's idea has my vote over the rest, seems to be pretty straight forward and fair. I'm really just itching to see the people who worship their own k/d above all else have their option to combat log taken away from them. Field's, Blue's or even Error's idea would be a lovely and important addition to the game. 

#9 Drestdave

Drestdave

Wikia Administrator - TECREAT Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts
  • HomeHolland

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:22 AM

You indeed adress a major issue of Tanktastic. Currently there is only one way a battlelogger, combatlogger, whatever you want to call it can be punished and that is by having a Staff member with you in-game. Obviously, Staff members cannot be available at all times which leaves the battlelogger unpunished. With that comes the fact that some people aren't really battlelogging, they just have a crappy internet connection and this is hard to determine whether the person is just lagging out or battle logging. Staff members will most likely have difficulties with this.

But, to get to the actual topic of my reply, I would like to react to some of the given solutions starting with Mr blue sky's one.

​Mr blue sky's solution: "add a timer for when someone leaves a room. A notification would display, "Leaving room in T seconds". T would represent the timer counting down from a prescribed amount perhaps 3 seconds".

I have to say this is quite a good solution to make combat logging useless but after some time, new methods will be created to combat log. For example when having a low HP and going into battle, clicking "leave" right before they go in, kill an enemy and leave the room right after. Another advantage of this solution is that people who lag aren't really affected by this, they just lag out without clicking the "leave" button.

​FieldMarshal's solution: ​"attributing the frag to the last player who shot into the logger before he logged"

If you mean with this that the people who hit the combat logger before he logged gets the kill credits and experience, then that doesn't really prevent people from leaving, does it? It just rewards the player wo shot him with extra experience and credits, but the idea might work when the combat logger gets a death extra in his/her score.

Error's solution: ​"disable the leave button for as long as a player is under attack, and add a timer interval after the attack on, say five seconds. After the specified amount of time, the leave button will be enabled again"

This is my favourite option so far, at least the first option you gave is. Personally I think the second option won't work out to well because some players just want to leave with low level while driving because they have to go for some reason. Although the "leave" button gets enabled in due time again, it just isn't nice if you want to join your friend, want to leave on low HP and can't because there's a timer and when you have left, the friends' room is full. But the first option is very nice tho. There is a somewhat similar system in Battlefield 4 which basically prevents spawning on a squadmember when he or she is under fire. This solution really prevents the combat loggers as they mainly leave when being attacked.

In the end, I think I'd like Error's solution the most as it really takes on the whole combat logging idea. The developers could add some variables to this function, such as a time specification. For example, when a tank is being hit, it would disable the leave button and say "in battle" so combat loggers can't leave when under attack. To add this function to low HP as well would be too much, but that is an option as well. I'lltry to find some examples of this.

Kind regards,

Dave

|Wikia Administrator & TECREAT manager|

​|1200 days In-game|Can be found In-game and on the forums frequently|

Can I help you with something?

#10 Error 403

Error 403

Flawless Life

• 3352 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:32 AM

Currently there is only one way a battlelogger, combatlogger, whatever you want to call it can be punished and that is by having a Staff member with you in-game. Obviously, Staff members cannot be available at all times which leaves the battlelogger unpunished. With that comes the fact that some people aren't really battlelogging, they just have a crappy internet connection and this is hard to determine whether the person is just lagging out or battle logging. Staff members will most likely have difficulties with this.

That is exactly the reason why moderators cannot punish these so-called "battle loggers": it is impossible to determine whether they leave on purpose or due to technical reasons. Besides, there is nothing in the End User License Agreement that forbids players from leaving and re-joining matches, so moderators do not have the authority to undertake moderating measures against them, unless we change the End User License Agreement accordingly, of course.

u0KGBYG.gif

#11 Drestdave

Drestdave

Wikia Administrator - TECREAT Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts
  • HomeHolland

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:32 AM

That is exactly the reason why moderators cannot punish these so-called "battle loggers": it is impossible to determine whether they leave on purpose or due to technical reasons. Besides, there is nothing in the End User License Agreement that forbids players from leaving and re-joining matches, so moderators do not have the authority to undertake moderating measures against them, unless we change the End User License Agreement accordingly, of course.

There you go, chance EULA accordingly:

-  3.7.3:

Battle logging/Combat logging

|Wikia Administrator & TECREAT manager|

​|1200 days In-game|Can be found In-game and on the forums frequently|

Can I help you with something?

#12 Copperhead171

Copperhead171

Corporal

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:29 PM

Maybe I don't understand the leave button thing? I mean I know you can prevent folks from returning to the main menu, but nothing can stop them from closing TT itself in order to combat log. I suppose this could be countered if their tank stays behind for set amount of time if it's been damaged, even if the player has completely logged off.

#13 Error 403

Error 403

Flawless Life

• 3352 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:16 AM

Maybe I don't understand the leave button thing? I mean I know you can prevent folks from returning to the main menu, but nothing can stop them from closing TT itself in order to combat log.

That is exactly why it is so hard to come with a solution.

u0KGBYG.gif

#14 Daddy Rob

Daddy Rob

Warrant Officer

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • HomeThe Shires

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:11 AM

What solution is the vote for?, Or is it for any solution.
Please clarify.
I like the sound of a delay when leaving.
Going further,It would be great if a message appeared above the tank (like the health points, or damaged track) that the player was in the process of leaving.

If I do not answer straight away, please pick one of my standard responses listed below - mood dependent. <p>Realistic: Adapt your expectations, reality may surprise you. Cautionary: You always have a choice. Unsympathetic: Better you than me.

msg-7194-0-08197600-1510947090.jpg

#15 Mr blue sky01

Mr blue sky01

Brexitarian Hussar

• In-game Moderator
  • 537 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:43 AM

What solution is the vote for?, Or is it for any solution.
Please clarify.
I like the sound of a delay when leaving.
Going further,It would be great if a message appeared above the tank (like the health points, or damaged track) that the player was in the process of leaving.

For the original idea in the first post.

#16 Copperhead171

Copperhead171

Corporal

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

Yeah, things get complicated, which partly why Field's idea is still my favorite, it seems simple, defeat's the purpose of an unjustified leave, and it rewards the work done by the person who shot the logger rather than risking doing all that work for nothing.

#17 Saphira1

Saphira1

Second Lieutenant

• PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • HomePennsylvania

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:47 AM

good ideas guys. i agree with error right here

​Swole is the goal! Size is the prize!

​Its gainz o clock MFs!

​Let's goooo!!!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

{parse template="include_lightbox_real" group="global" params=""} {parse template="inlineLogin" group="global" params=""}